Thursday, May 26, 2011

a freakin' nightmare

All my life i have been plagued by bad dreams.

Those horrible, wake up gasping for breath, feeling sweaty ones. Often scary. Sometimes I remember the 'story' but often I don't, it's just an overhang of emotions.

I'm a really bad sleeper anyway, so to be woken by a bad dream is salt in the wound for me.

I've tried everything...pills and potions, staying awake longer, going to bed earlier, dark room, light room, quiet, noise, different pillows and blankets, even counselling etc etc etc etc etc. Alllargely to no avail. Doesn't help me sleep any better and none seem to stop bad dreams for long.

I absolutely hate waking from a bad dream and being on my own. really hate it.

I hate waking every 20 minutes or so (I know, I've timed it....).

What I have realised though, is that the dreams seem to happen when i have an unidentified stress in my head. I can feel it tugging at the back of my mind now, but can't figure out what it is I'm actually stressed about. Sheesh, it's enough to make you lose sleep over it!

Tips anyone?

2 comments:

Alison said...

Try yoga before sleep perhaps? There are certain poses and breathing techniques that will relax you.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting!

susan said...

thanks for visiting Alison..yep I use yoga breathing exercises a lot (started at 6 years old!)...great for getting to sleep, never actually thought of using it to try and sTAY asleep - tonight perhaps!