Thursday, March 13, 2014

when less is still more

Have you read this blog?
http://myyearwithoutclothesshopping.com/

This is truly a woman after my own heart - not because I too have stopped shopping for clothes (in fact far from it) but I like her philosophy about STUFF.

The problem for me I think, is more that I am addicted to the decluttering exercise.  In fact I have moved to the computer NOW because I can feel a 'chuck out session'' coming on, and there really isn't much left for me to get rid of around here!  Yesterday I worked through the kids wardrobes and pulled out all the too small clothes. I did my own wardrobe the day before.  I'm currently working on the pantry and the bathroom again, using up all the things that end up relegated to bottom shelves.

I'm planning to move house soon (anyone want to buy mine), and so figure the less stuff I have to move the better.  And yet despite selling/dumping/giving away more things than I care to imagine in the past few weeks (but hazard a guess it's about 3 trailer loads worth) I still feel like I have too much.  It's all those things that are put away for rainy days, or are in ''storage'' and only used a couple of times a year. Those things get me down.  I wonder why I keep them.  After all, how many table cloths/plastic bags/ garden implements/ kitchen appliances/pairs of gumboots/sleeping bags/blankets/pillow cases/candles/chilly bins/extra photo frames does one person actually need?  Only one or two I would have thought...and still these are the very things I find I just can't get rid of.

If you visited my house, you'd probably wonder what I was on about. It's a pretty spacious, uncluttered kind of place.   But it has storage.  Lots and lots of storage.  And I make the most of it.

I wonder how people who have LOTS of stuff get by.  Maybe they don't mind? Are you like that? Do you mind having a lot of stuff?  For me, it makes me stressed.  I'd rather give it away than try and sell it, rather recycle than repair.  

I'm no saint - I buy lots of clothes for examples, but do my best to replace rather than add to, my wardrobe. I use the library rather than buy books. I have very little in the way of camping gear, or exercise equipment, or any of those other things that only get used occasionally, but there's still enough to fill some shelves in the garage.

Right now that's where my energy is focused. I have enough garden stakes to plant out an orchard I am sure.  A few broken bits of technology. Some tired old crockery from the kitchen.  Some raggedy towels.  Tomorrow it all goes to the dump.  Can't wait.


No comments: